Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Feferman's Farewell

 I was super sad to hear that we lost Professor Sol Feferman on July 26th, 2016. This week WOLLIC is happening in Puebla and Ruy asked me if I wanted to say a few words about Sol in a special session due to happen today in his honour.

I knew I would be busy at the time of the session, as seminars in Nuance Sunnyvale are on Wednesdays at  11 am, so I said I couldn't do it. Ruy then suggested  recording a tribute, so I decided to try it.

 I looked through many emails to, from and about Sol. and I looked at papers and reports and I managed to write a short text. Not as short as I wanted it to be.  when  recorded it it came to 12 minutes, instead of between 5 and 10 minutes that I had aimed for.  I even managed to get to grips with quickmovie (ok the only thing you need to discover is where the button to record something is...) and I recorded my message. Only to send it and discover that the programme had been changed at the last minute and the session in Sol's honor had already happened. oh well.

Here's my tribute to Sol and  Anita Feferman.  Grisha Mints and Bill Craig also show up a little. We're definitely getting poorer!

No comments:

Post a Comment